Sunday, October 6, 2013

Deutschland Runde Zwei!

Whoa, whoa whoa... I'm back in Germany, nearly 10 months after leaving last year. This time will be a bit more permanent, most likely for 2 full years. There are quite a few differences between then and now, all of which seem to be major positive changes. First and foremost, I have a purpose here already as I will be a full time student at the Willy Brandt School for Public Policy beginning next week. Studying, will keep my mind active and force me to get out of the apartment everyday for classes. Last year I spent several days in Freiburg without ever leaving the apartment. Idle days and hangovers were a common occurrence.  To remedy my headaches and dry mouth I turned to döner kebabs, soda, and kräuter liquor.  Combine that with a Super Nintendo emulator, and I pretty much failed to do anything good for myself.

Another positive is that Erika and I have our own apartment a little outside of the downtown district of Erfurt. It's small, ahem, cozy, but after a trip to Ikea and a few other stores downtown, things are beginning to look more like a home, rather than a hotel room.  The final homely touch was a French press coffeemaker, nothing is more homely than fresh hot coffee when you wake up. We still need some decorations and a better closet, but most of the essentials have been met. Needless to say, I'm very excited to be here in Erfurt with Erika. It's a new city for us both, and so far it has been enjoyable. The main shopping area is very historic looking, with an enormous cathedral on a hill overlooking the city center, and old castle grounds from over 1000 years ago still preserved. As an American, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the age of some of the buildings around here. I'm always amazed at how well history is preserved in German cities, surrounded by modern niceties and despite a violent history. When Erika arrived, we took advantage of the nice weather and walked through the city and discovered a carnival going on in the Domplatz, near the city center.  As a result, we got a great view of the city from on top of a ferris wheel. Some of the pictures actually do justice to how pretty this place is.

 A view from on top of the ferris wheel

The carnival celebrating Oct. 3 Reunification Day

Another view from on top the ferris wheel




Domplatz Cathedral

Reunited and it feels so good

East Germany has the best walk lights: a man with a hat walking purposefully. The Do Not Walk signs are less exciting, just a red man with his arms sticking straight out, he still has a little hat though!

Some pics of our little apartment




This little Ikea shelf will serve as a clothing rack for now

And a nice little courtyard below

That's all I have for now, I plan to continue writing on this blog more frequently than before. More pictures and updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment