Sunday, January 26, 2014

Erfurt Model UN

Aaaah the weekend... It's pretty nice to wear pajamas for most of the day and with plenty of time to do homework. The couple weekends have been very busy, including a block seminar for 8-10hrs on a Friday and Saturday, followed the next weekend by Model UN event that lasted 12hrs on Saturday and 8hrs on Sunday.  But now that they are over with, I think I'm sitting pretty for my upcoming finals.  I'd never done a Model UN event before, but I always kind of wanted to do it, so I signed up for it, not realizing that it would last as long as it did. It was an experience for sure, I can't say exactly what kind of experience, but I did it. I represented North Korea, not exactly the most respected or influential delegation in the UN, so I definitely didn't contribute as much to the activity as other members, but for me that was ok. The topic we discussed was about Israel-Palestine conflict so North Korea did not need to be involved closely with the other groups, but I ended up allying myself with most of the Arab countries. There were about 60 people that participated from several different cities that came to the event, including a large group from the University of Erfurt, so I actually got to meet some other Germans not associated with the Willy Brandt School, which was nice. My other close ally, Cuba, and I ended up talking for a lot of the breaks so I hope to see him around campus some more. Another plus of the event was that it took place in the Rathaus (townhall) which is a really beautiful building with incredible paintings all along the hallways and very nice sitting rooms with awesome wooden carvings throughout. It was pretty awe-inspiring. EDIT: I forgot to mention that being North Korea was pretty awesome. Since I didn't know exactly how to draft a UN resolution properly, I spent most of my time drafting outrageous speeches aimed at attacking capitalism and the West, as well as numerous references to the absolute power of the Supreme Leader.


Slightly blurry photo of me towards the end of the event


Strange painting along the staircase. I thought it would be biblical of some kind, but I don't remember anything with that monster on the right


Close up of the monster with a 3rd eye

 One of the other sitting rooms with enormous paintings along the walls. A classmate told me that they are historical paintings of Germany and that way back in the day Erfurt was much more important, both religiously and politically.

Chandeliers and a grand piano give it a very classy appeal

Beautiful statues. I think Mom and Dad would have liked it here. 


This is the main sitting room we used, it had nice paintings, huge wooden desks and cool chairs for the delegates. And I really liked the massive windows too. 


End of the Model UN so everyone is getting ready to leave. I can find more pictures if anyone wants to see more, but they aren't super exciting, just people sitting around in suits and raising name cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment