Monday, March 10, 2014

Fasting complete

So the internet in our apartment stopped a few days ago, so I haven't been able to write a new post. But the library will suffice until it gets reconnected. We ended our fast on Saturday afternoon, roughly 4.5 days without food. After day 2, things continued along the same trend: hungry, tired, cranky. Even more cranky because there were many fewer distractions without an internet connection. I went from about 166 lbs. to 158.4 lbs. in 4 days. My hunger never really subsided and I felt pretty exhausted just going up a few flights of stairs. Fortunately my exams were over and I didn't have to concentrate on anything, but it was hard. Harder than I imagined.I could persevere for many hours during the day, and feel ok, but then all of a sudden the hunger hit me and for the next 2 hours all I could think about was food and no amount of tea could help.  I even played soccer on Thursday but it was really difficult, I could run for about 15 seconds before being completely winded, so I spent a lot of time in the goal and playing sweeper. But I ended the soccer day better off than one of my teammates, who tried to head a lofted ball away from goal while backpedaling, and in the process jumped, hit his head on the crossbar, and went down bleeding. I didn't accompany him to the hospital, but I'm pretty sure he needed several stitches and a new white t-shirt.
The night before we quit fasting, Erika went through several cookbooks and found a least a dozen recipes of healthy and delicious things we could eat, and the next day we walked anxiously to the grocery store. The weekend was filled with a bit of binge-eating, but of the healthier variety. The first dinner we had was bulgar salad with nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, leeks, carrots, and a half portion of turkey breast. It really was awesome. The next day we had tuna sandwiches with whole grain bread, arugula, pickles, capers, and cheese. Also awesome. So awesome in fact we ate too much. I haven't had a chance to upload pictures from my camera of our overfilled refrigerator and our two dinners, but they will be coming soon.
But all in all, the fast was a good experience, I think I have a better appreciation for food, and better understanding of how my body acts. But I probably wouldn't do it again for awhile. And also enemas are pretty crazy, not bad though. You would be surprised how full of shit we all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment